Food of the Gods: Omega-3 Fatty Acids
By: Wendy Wu, R.D., M.S.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids are the healthy polyunsaturated fats that are soOoo good for us! Here’s why:
1) Increase good HDL cholesterol
2) Decreases Triglycerides
3) Good for the skin-maintain cell membrane, allowing for water and nutrient absorption and protects the skin from sun damage
4) Reduce inflammation (helps with joint pain) and high blood pressure
5) Reduce migraine headaches
6) Boosts mood and memory
7) Protects against age-related macular degeneration (macula of eye degenerates-leading to blindness)
8) Delay development of glucose intolerance in people without diabetes
9) Blood thinner-less likely to have clots
10) May alleviate symptoms of depression
So where do we get Food Sources of Omega-3 fatty acids?
Eggs Fortified with Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Ground Flax seeds
It is important to note that omega 3 fatty acids are essential fatty acids, which means that our bodies cannot produce them, and therefore must be consumed in our diet.