By: Wendy Wu, R.D., M.S
The more beauty products I try, the more I learn about all the toxins in the cosmetics I use. Boy is it a headache to stay clear of the long list of harmful chemicals! It’s like reading food ingredients but 10x worse. After much research, I’ve concluded that the following toxins are the most important to avoid.
1) Fragrance– Allergen; Carcinogen
Where: Detergents, skincare, dryer sheets, air freshener, etc.
2) Parabens– Endocrine disruptor, neurotoxin; possible carcinogen
Where: deodorants, lotions, eye shadows, shampoos, facial cleansers, body washes, facial moisturizers, etc.
3) Coal Tar– Carcinogen
Where: shampoo, skin treatment, anti-redness creams, bath oils, conditioners, bath salts, bath soaks, etc.
4) Triclosan– Endocrine disruptor, allergen; may cause asthma and eczema.
Where: detergents, dish washing fluids, soaps, deodorants, cosmetics, lotions, creams, toothpaste, etc.
5) Sodium lauryl sulphate– May cause skin irritation, eye irritation, rashes and hair loss. Can create nitrosamines which are carcinogenic.
Where: toothpastes, shampoos, facial cleansers, body wash, acne treatment, exfoliants, moisturizers, hair color/bleach, etc.
6) Phthalates– Toxic to the immune, nervous, and reproductive systems ( causes infertility, feminization of baby boys and sperm damage)
Where: “fragrance”, nail polish, nail treatment, etc.
7) Formaldehyde– Toxic to the immune and respiratory systems; carcinogen
Where: nail polish, baby soaps, eye lash adhesives, hair products, sunscreens, etc.
8) Lead– A neurotoxin that can accumulate in the body over time.
Where: lipsticks, hair dyes, hair care, etc.
9) TEA (Triethanolamine)/ DEA (Diethanolamine)/ MEA (Monoethanolamine)– Endocrine disruptor; forms cancer causing nitrates.
Where: Shampoos and Bubble Baths
10) BHA (Butylated hydroxyanisole)- Toxic to the liver, immune and nervous systems; possible carcinogen.
Where: lipsticks, lip glosses, facial creams, eye shadows, mascaras, etc.
Now that you know what chemicals to avoid, let me suggest some alternatives.
–Whole Foods Premium Body Care. They’ve listed 400 ingredients that are UNACCEPTABLE and not allowed on their shelves. So any product you buy will be safe.
-I’m also happy to share that there are 322 companies under “Compact for Safe Cosmetics” who pledge full transparency and to formulate their products with the least amount of harmful ingredients. I was curious as to why brands that I think are safe and “natural” like The Body Shop and Burt’s Bees were not on the list. Using EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database, I found out that products from both brands contain harmful toxins. *Tsk Tsk* Not so natural after all.
-Just out of curiosity, I used the EWG Skin Deep Cosmetic Database and searched “Johnson & Johnson Baby”. I was shocked by the results. Check them out here. You’d think the FDA would be all over this right? Wrong. So Wrong. The FDA really has no control over cosmetics that reach our shelves.
Great Video by Storyofstuff.org
(Organic Fruits preferred for Juicing or at least peel the skin off)