By: Wendy Wu, R.D., M.S.
One of my closest friends is a Pre-K teacher in Manhattan, New York and I learn so much from her about the little 3 feet monsters she teaches. Her agenda includes creative and fun activities like writing, drawing, cutting, pasting, role playing, dancing, and most importantly reading!
Benefits of reading to children:
-Builds a stronger relationship between you and the child
-Improves speech, logical thinking, concentration and discipline, and communication skills
-Child will excel academically as a result of language mastery
-Teaches the child that reading can be fun
Reading to children is one of the most important things you can do to pave their way toward academic excellence. As you can see, books can be beneficial to children in many ways. The following are a list of 10 children’s books recommended by my favorite Pre-K teacher, Ms. Jennifer!
1. Giraffes Can’t Dance- A book about self-esteem.
2. Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born- A book about adoption.
3. My Brother Charlie- A book about kids with autism.
4. A Kiss Goodbye- A book about starting school.
5. Knuffle Bunny- A book about communication.
6. Hands Are Not for Hitting- A book about good behavior.
7. Please is a Good Word to Say- A book about kindness.
8. Are You My Mother?- A comical adventure book about a baby bird looking for its mother.
9. Enemy Pie- A book about friendship.
10. The Kissing Hand- A book about the first day of school.