I call this green bean soup but you can call it mixed porridge, mixed cereal or green bean dessert. This soup consists of 4 main ingredients but you can substitute whatever you think will pair well together. Beans and seeds are high-quality carbohydrates that are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They tend to be notably high in soluble fiber, folate, magnesium, iron, and potassium. Barley is a highly nutritious and versatile cereal grain that can be added to most stews, soups, or made into a lemon barley drink. I tried it at a Singaporean restaurant once and it’s now one of my favorite drinks!
For my green bean soup recipe, I used 4 dried ingredients (Serves 2-3):
-green beans (~1/2 cup)
-lotus seeds (handful)
-cranberry beans (handful)
-coconut palm sugar (or whatever sugar you have on hand to taste)
-pot of water
1. Soak cranberry beans over night.
2. Boil a pot of water. I used my electric soup maker but a crock pot would work as well.
3. Rinse green beans, lotus seeds and barley until water is clear. Lotus seeds cannot be soaked in cold water or else it won’t cook. Rinse well and gently place into boiling water as soon as possible.
4. Add in all the ingredients to boiling water except the sugar.
5. Boil on high for 1/2 hour and then simmer for 2 hours. Add sugar.
6. Serve hot or cold. As breakfast, lunch or dessert.