- Good source of folate, manganese and fiber.
- Betalains, a type of phytonutrient found in beets have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflmmatory and detoxification support.
- Those who experience beeturia (reddish urine after consuming beets) may have some problems with iron metabolism.
- Beets may have anti-cancer properties which slow down tumor cell growth.
- Steaming is the best way to cook beets.
2 beets (or 2 cans of beets)
handful of cilantro
1/2 red onion
1 clove garlic (mashed)
~2-3 T red wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
Salt and Pepper
1. Wash, peel and cut fresh beets. If using canned, rinse well.
2. Steam beets for ~15 minutes.
3. Place vinegar, red onion, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
4. Add cooled beets into vinaigrette and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Top with chopped cilantro when ready to serve.